Friday, September 10, 2010

A Sugar Sandwich and a Lie


We interrupt this semi-sort of-regularly-scheduled craft blog for some random reminiscing:

My oldest, who's on a mission for the LDS Church, wrote and asked my husband and I for some childhood stories. My first thought was, "Really?! You haven't cared about us or our childhoods for the last 5 years, so why now?!" But he's matured quite a bit over the last 7 months and it warms my heart to know he wants to know about us.

I thought of a few stories. Like the time my gold polyester pants split when I was standing up to accept my award in Elementary School, exposing my homemade polyester undies. Or the time my sister and I smuggled horn toads home from a camping trip. Yeah. They didn't live long.

But as I racked my brain for more stories, I remembered a snack I loved! And how I manipulated a babysitter into making it for me and my little sister.

I was pretty rebellious as a little girl....NOT!

In fact I was so shy and afraid of anything and everything that I rarely talked back and I pretty much did everything I was told to. Typical oldest child, I guess. Anyway, I think I was 8 or 9 and my parents had a neighbor girl come tend my sister and I (actually, my husband ended up dating that girl for awhile in high school. Funny, huh?). Okay, ANYWAY!

I LOVED sugar sandwiches. HUH? A sugar sandwich is a slice of white bread spread with butter and sprinkled with lots of white sugar then topped with another piece of white bread. DELICIOUS!

My mom had told us no sugar sandwiches while she was gone that night. So being the obedient daughter I was, I told the babysitter that our mom let us have sugar sandwiches all the time. She said, "Are you sure? That doesn't sound very good for you." I assured her it was okay. Now remember, I was usually very close to a perfect child, and most people knew it, so she believed me and made us our sugar sandwiches. I felt guilty lying to her, and if I remember right, I got in trouble when my parents came home, but boy did that sugar sandwich taste good!

Okay, you can go back to crafting now that I've enriched your life with my childhood tales of mischief. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments! Thanks so much for leaving me one! :)